Question

blood in poo

I have a jack russel that is house trained, l have noticed some blood in his stool from Sunday. Tummy is hard but what is confusing he is eating good and very playfull. Should i be worried?

Dear Anon

Blood in a firm stool now and again is normal. You can always put some protexin on for a week if this happens again.

3

i agree with what chill says, but the bloated belly would concern me.....a hrd belly is a bit of a worry when combined with frank blood in the stool. see a vet

Thanks Chill, yes the blood is red and the stool is farelly solid.
The anus is also a redish colour.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-18

If you' ve noticed blood, I presume it' s red? If I' m right, he' s probably got some little wound near the end of his digestive tract - if it' s a minimal amount, and doesn' t persist, and if there are no other symptoms, then it' s probably nothing to worry about.

Bleeding near the upper end of the digestive tract is more serious, but it manifests itself as black stools, because the blood has been ' digested'  on the way out.

Reply to Chill