Posted by: Distressed | 2009-07-03

Blood in Phlegm

Dear Doc

my son was diagnosed with tonsillitis over the weekend, by now he is much better. i started feeling ill beginning of this week and 2 days ago my GP diagnosed me with tonsillitis as the time I went to see him, i did not have red eyes, but it seems just since i left his office my eyes r completely bloodshot. (as my son' s were).

but what is really worrying me is, this evening, after i brushed my teeth and ' spit' , from the back of my throat came a big amount of phlegm with definite blood in it, even my 4 year old noticed it and exclaimed ' blood!' . i' m not even coughing these days. also i' ve noticed now lumps on 2 sides of my neck. not in the front like where the doc feels for a checkup, but on the 2 sides, in line with the ears u could say even.

i don' t know what it' s all normal for tonsillitis? i should go back to my doctor? feeling....really stressed for this. thk u in advance...

It can be due to the infection of the tonsils. Ask your GP to do a throat swab. Depending on the results, your doctor will be able to adjust your antibiotics accordingly.