Question
Posted by: Matt | 2008/07/25

Blood in phaeses

I discovered yesterday, after I went to the toilet that there was blood on the toilet paper after wiping my bum off.

And when I looked into the toilet, there was blood on my phaeses.

Not a huge amount though, but enough to be worried!

Please tell me if I need to go to the doctor or if it is because of something very simple... I have been experiencing hard stools, and have wondered if its not maybe because of that and that my anus might have a small tear in it?

Matt

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It is most probably due to a small mucousal tear, due the hardness of your stools. You can also have piles and I therefore, suggest that you use a stool softner (like Laxette syrup) for a period of one week. If the problem persists, you will have to consult your GP, to have a stool sample send away for analysis, as well as an examination of the rectum.

Kind regards