Question
Posted by: SB | 2009/07/30

Blood in Nose

Over the past week I have noticed that the mucus discharge in my right nostril has traces of blood.

There are a few sores in my nostrils for which I started using bactroban yesterday.

The blood does not leak out, but if I blow my nose after approximately every 3-4 hours, the mucus is bloody.

Do you think I should be concerned. This is the first time and there are no other symptoms present.

SB

Dear SB
No you need not be concerned, the mucous membrane may just be irritated. Try rinsing with salt water (1/2 tsp salt on a cup of water) and use the bactroban. Avoid nosedrops that can dry out the nose inside.