Question
Posted by: twinkles | 2011-07-24

blood in dogs urine

my dog is 13 she was suffering with inconstinence and her urine was murky. i got her tabs now she has a big wee with fresh blood and some clear urine.

Hi Twinkles

The possible causes of haematuria are diverse and should warrant further investigation if the medication prescribed fails to alleviate the symptoms.

A decrease in fresh blood and clear urine may indicate an improvement. If the problem continues I would suggest a general health check (access the blood and internal organs), urine examination, x-ray of the bladder +/- an ultrasound scan.

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

3
Posted by: twinkles | 2011-07-29

Thank you she has been on antibiotics and tabs for inconstinence. she had an xray and it didnt show anything but the vet said her bladder felt a bit thick in the wall near the back. Which could be polyps or a tumour. I dont know if I must let her have a op she is 14 and may not take to anaesthetic and I dont know if there is much that can be done. What should I do :-(

Reply to twinkles
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-07-28

Hi Twinkles

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011-07-24

What were the tabs? Were they supplied or prescribed by the vet? What was his diagnosis?

Blood in the urine can have a whole lot of possible causes - mostly there are some other symptoms present, which your vet would ask you about. You do need to talk to the vet again - if you''ve already been, then a phone call might be enough, but if you found some tablets at the chemist''s, or something, then you will need to stop them and take the dog to be examined.

Mostly it will be found that an infection is to blame, but there could also be other causes, which would require quite different treatments.

Unless there is a huge amount of blood, which seems not to be the case from your description, it can wait until tomorrow - ie, it''s not an emergency.

Reply to Chill