Question
Posted by: Heather | 2011-07-28

Blood in Cat Stool

Hi, I have a 2 year old cat, he is due for his innoculations (I am taking him over the weekend). This morning, I woke up to a terrible smell and went to investigate. I discovered he had pooped on the bed. It wasn''t solid but not too runny. What was worrying is that there was blood in it. This has never happend before. We live in a complex and it may be possible that someone fed him something (I once caught my neighbors watching him eat a rotting green sausage in their yard). I cannot take the time off work to take him to the vet (I work for a doctor so I need to be around the rooms)- do you think it is something that needs urgent attention (so I can ask my sister to take him) or do you think I can wait until Saturday morning?

Hi Heather

The presence of mucus or fresh/digested blood in the faeces of a cat with diarrhoea can be normal.

If your cat’s behaviour and appetite are normal then I would advise that you feed a bland diet and observe. If the symptoms continue please go and seek veterinary advice.

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

5
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-08-01

Hi Heather

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: steph | 2011-07-29

the problem with the blood is two-fold..firstly it could just be haemorrhagic gastro...so once the diarrhoea is under control its fine..BUT..the more worrying fact is that blood is the perfect medium for growth of OTHER bactria...so it could lead to other more complicated factors. the best thing that you can do is to ask your sister to get him to the vets, to save on the consult fee just ask for the vaccines to be done at the same time. but i would check it out. i have had this with my dogs, and it resolved spontaneously overnight, but the only reason i left it is that it started at 2 am....but was clear by 9am when the vets opened again...murphys law!

rather be safe than sorry....

Reply to steph
Posted by: Heather | 2011-07-28

Chill, thank you for the answer, but please reserve the judgment. I literally just started the job a month ago and cannot just take off, not to mention the fact that today is the day when I send his theatre lists off to the hospital, etc. So it is a bit difficult, today of all days. Hence my reason for posting this in the first place, and saying that I will get my sister to take my cat for me if it is urgent. BUT to answer your question, the blood was bright red, he wasn’ t making odd noises, he looked a bit down but ate his soft food like he normally does and sat by the heater like he normally does. He wasn’ t huddled or hiding and when I opened the window for him to go outside (I don’ t leave him out at night and it was still dark but it about 04:30) he went outside gladly, and came back in when I started preparing their breakfast- he can hear his food packet a mile away. :)

Reply to Heather
Posted by: Chill | 2011-07-28

Blood where there shouldn''t be blood is always a warning sign that something is wrong. The causes can range from the trivial to the critical - hard to tell from afar!

If the blood in the stool was clear red, then it indicates that the problem lies far down in the alimentary tract - blood coming from higher up would have been (partially) digested and shows up as black.

Something else of concern: if the cat is normally fastidious about where he poops, and doing his business on the bed hasn''t happened before, I''d also take it more seriously, because it could mean he''s feeling unwell or in pain.

Obviously the cat''s overall demeanour and behaviour also comes into play - does he look normal? is he behaving as usual? is he eating/drinking? Or is he hiding away, huddled up, looking vague or uncomfortable or making weird noises?

It''s unfortunately not possible to tell you it will be ok if you leave it until Saturday. It may well be, but if it isn''t, you''re going to find that out the hard way. If that was my cat, I probably wouldn''t even have waited to post this query - I''d be sitting waiting outside the vet''s surgery waiting for him to arrive at work. Which might well be overkill - but that''s how it is.

Matter of interest: if it was blood in YOUR stool, how would your doctor boss cope with his rooms? Just asking....

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Heather | 2011-07-28

Sorry, another thing that I should mention is that he is a bit fat, so I don''t feed him too much (a tablespoon or two of tinned food in the morning and evening and then dry chunks for the day- 60gto80g). I do catch him eating my puppy''s food (she has the same feeding schedule, obviously she eats puppy food). He is very greedy (he sits on the counter, immediately after he has eaten supper, to try take swipes at whatever it is I''m cooking) so I don''t doubt that if there was something yucky in the complex or someone gave him something he''d eat it.

Reply to Heather