Posted by: meldee | 2012-11-15

Blood group lifestyle diet

My husband has been reading on the blood group diet, particularly by Dr D''adamo. He began following this diet about 5-6 months ago and he has been successfull in loosing about 15kg and is still on a loosing streak. Few months into the diet he started going to gym and he is still not missing a day of gym with an exception of weekends. He says he''s never felt better and so full of energy. He falls under the O blood group which according to Dr D''adamo he should eat lots of protein (particularly red meat), a bit of veggies and no carbs. I think he limits himself to a slice of rye bread once a day.He drinks lemon tea and some whey shakes, cayenne pepper which apparently cleanses his liver. My concern is that he comes from a family background of diabetes and hypertension sufferers. His mom is diabetic and has been hospitalised several times due to hypertension and diabetes.Two of her sisters are also diabetic. Prior to him being on this diet he has been cautioned on hypertension and even prescribed medication too but he would always not take it and choose to loose weight instead. Now for a person who''s very likely to be hypertensive wouldn''t this blood group diet eventually lead him to a compromised health state. He has also been soliciting myself and my daughter to be on this lifestyle change but I am very reluctant as it defies what I was taught and read about with regards to what a balnced plate of food is. As it is we rarely eat rice/pap, on occassion we''ll have pasta/noodles with my daughter but the major portion on my plate is veggies, then mostly chicken/fish as I don''t particularly favor red meat. If I followed the blood group I should be having more red meat like him as I''m also O group. I really feel that his diet will have major health issues in the future because there''s a lot of nutrients he''s not getting in his body, eg: there''s no dairy products in his eating plan. What''s your take?

Dear Meldee
I agree with what you say and would not recommend that high protein O blood group diet as a long term solution for anyone. I am personally not convinced that the so-called 'blood diets' are based on sound scientific proof. Why all individuals who have blood type O should be "allergic" to wheat, etc, and that this "allergy" should cause weight gain, does not make sense to me. Your point that anyone eating just red meat and a few vegies (sounds like the Atkins and Prof Noakes rolled in one), may well develop hypertension and other problems, is valid. In addition, all these theorists tend to forget that human beings are omnivores which means that we eat all types of food - meat, fruit, vegetables, nuts, legumes, grains, milk, yoghurt, cheese, and fats, so a balanced diet that contains foods from all the different food groups is more likely to benefit us than a 1 food-group diet. It would be safer for someone with hypertension to use the DASH Diet to lose weight. The DASH Diet was developed in the USA specifically to combat high blood pressure and it can also cause weightloss if required. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read the article about the Dash Diet. You will see that the DASH Diet contains plenty of low-fat or fat-free diary products, fruit, vegetables and whole grains. I don't know what you can do to persuade your hubby to take the sensible course, but do stick to your own convictions so that you do not become ill. Perhaps you can suggest that he should see a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to have his health and this present diet evaluated?