Posted by: worriedangel | 2008-12-04

blood from anus

sometime ago i noticed blood from my anus while using the toilet and the process of excreting was painful but later it stopped. But just this morning i went through that same pain trying to excrete and it came out with bright red blood, i thought it wa my memstrual period but it wasn' t, i even notices clotted blood like during menstrual period. what could this and what do i do.pls reply .

It could be piles or a tear. See your doctor.

Posted by: Momof 3 | 2008-12-05

Hi worriedangel

Sometimes if the stool is too hard ie if you are constipated and you push too hard the skin around the anus can tear which will bleed showing bright red blood. This can be cured and helped by asking your chemist/ pharmacist for a cream for piles or you GP.This cream will help shrink the piles and heal the tear in the skin which will stop causing you pain when you pass a stool.

To help with the constipation- eat more wholewheat bread instead of white bread, drink more water- at least 8 glasses a day. You can also eat prunes for breakfast or drink prune juice. You can also ask your GP for a product to take over a period of a week or two ,it is called Movicol ( available in South Africa)You sprinkle it over your cearal or drink it in water or juice. Works like a charm.

The blood clots during menstruation is your body trying to slow the flow of blood, therefore clotting it to slow it down. I understand from that ,that you do have a heavy blood loss . But I am sure GynaeDoc will respond better to that part.
Hope this helps in the meantime.

Reply to Momof 3
Posted by: zo | 2008-12-04

maybe its piles my does that, see if you dont have something thats sticking out of your anus

Reply to zo
Posted by: TG | 2008-12-04

I had this too, you should go to your GP who should give you some meds which you put around your anus to help the muscles relax when you go to the loo. You also get something which starts with an M which will help soften your stool. You also need to drink fluids. If you continue having the problem you might need surgery, best to go have it checked out at your GP first!

Reply to TG