Posted by: Jackie | 2008-11-16

blood feathers of my bird

I' m a first time bird owner. I would like to know what exactly a blood feather is. My impression is that it is a new feather starting to grow. It becomes filled with blood until the whole feather grows out. Is this right? Do birds get blood feathers throughout there life. My bird tends to bite into it sometimes and it starts to bleed. After a few days the whole thing dries up. He also seems to be in pain when i pet him on his wing or when i lift the wing up. I do avoid doing this most of the time, but sometime i forget and his screams when i touch his wing.Is there anything i can do to keep him pain free without relying on drugs all the time. If his wing is not touched he doesnt seem to be in pain. My bird is a 9 month old lovebird.

Dear Jackie

I would also suggest that you go to a vet with a interest in birds.

Posted by: Carol | 2008-11-16

I think there is another problem with your lovebirds wing .

Growing feathers are itchy and annoying , a broken feather will cause pain if its close to the skin .

rather take it to the vet , and ask the vet to show you how to remove a broken blood feather.

Reply to Carol