Question
Posted by: topaz_sa | 2012/10/31

Blood Donation and Sugery

My company is having a blood drive on the 7th, but I am scheduled to have surgery on the 9th. Could I still donate blood? If not, how long before the surgery will it be safe to donate?

Topaz

This will depend on what surgery you are going to have done. I therefore, suggest that you consult the surgeon in this regard. If you are going to have major surgeon, I do not suggest that you donate blood until the surgery, as there will be a possibility for blood loss during surgery. A safe period to wait, will be three months.