Posted by: Sandra | 2009-09-01

Blocked Tubes

What is meant by " blocked tubes"  and how is this rectified or should I ask, can this be rectifed?
How does the doc check that your tubes are blocked and what exactly blocks it?
Is it possible for my tubes to be blocked if I have fallen pregnant before (3 times) but had all 3 pregnancies terminated?

Thank You for your time.

Dear Sandra

The diagnosis of blocked tubes is either done by a special X-ray and HSG or it can be done more accurately by an operative procedure called a laparoscopy. A laparoscopy would be a better option if one is suspecting blocked tubes as at the same time an assessment can be made whether the fallopian tubes are badly blocked and whether they could be repaired or not. The most common reasons why fallopian tubes get blocked is by infections that may be spread from the vagina and cervix going up into the uterus and into the fallopian tubes. However there are other conditions that may also cause blockage of the fallopian tubes such as the presence of endometriosis, or if one has had a ruptured appendix or previous pelvic surgery. It is possible that you may have fallen pregnant 3 times and your fallopian tubes has been blocked subsequent to that. If however somebody has said that your tubes are blocked but you have a confirmed 3 times pregnancy subsequent to that then it is unlikely that your fallopian tubes are blocked. So a diagnostic laparoscopy will be helpful in determining first of all if the fallopian tubes are blocked, secondly if they can be repaired or not, if they can be repaired this will require a subsequent operation, if they cannot be repaired then there is an option of in-vitro fertilization..

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo