Posted by: Kay | 2011-10-20

Blocked throut

Hi there,

I have a blocked throat, not nose... its as if there is mucus or saliva blocking my throat. Everyone says I extremely snore and I can believe that. Sometimes I realise that I sleep with my mouth open and my throat wakes up VERY dry. Some people say its sinuses but I have never had them in my life... i am 33 year old lady.

What could this be?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Kay

Your mouth breathing may be causing the dryness in the throat, which in turn will cause the sensation of swelling.
It may be chronic sinusitis, with an excessive postnasal drip, or perhaps a deviated septum, which causes problems with nasal breathing. You should see an ENT for a full examination of the upper airway, this may include a nasal endoscopy, or even a laryngoscopy, which is the examination of the nose, and/or throat with a small endoscope.