Posted by: Liz | 2009-03-30

Blocked tear duct

I am a 31 year old female. For about the last 5 years my eyelids have been swelling up whenever I cry. It stays swollen for about 36 hours before returning to normal. It is a real problem, as my eyes get swollen so badly, that I can' t show my face in public. It does not matter if I cry a little or a lot - the effect is more or less the same.
I was thinking that it might be blocked tear ducts, as I do suffer from sinus from time to time.

What would the treatment for something like this be?

Dear Liz
If you don't make tears, it may be a blocked tear duct, but if you do make tears, it may be a hypersensitivity reaction - try taking an allergy tablet like Allergex and putting ice on the area? Otherwise I think you should see an opthalmologist