Posted by: kaycee | 2011-09-13

blocked ringing ears

Hi, when I go to sleep im fine, but wake up in the morning one nostril will be blocked and my ears are blocked, so badly that i cannot unblock them, and they constantly ring. the pain is unbareable. My nose is not running at all, what could this be? Thak you for your help

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Kaycee

The blocing of the upper airway could be due to a number of factors, but the most likely place to start would be to exclude sino-nasal problems, especially allergies. Ask your ENT to check for possible allergens, including house dust mite and feathers. Inflammation could account for the blocked nose, and as the sinusses are then unable to drain, you will not experience a runny nose. Ask your doctor to do an ENT examination to try an establish a possible cause.