Posted by: Patricia | 2011-10-04

Blocked nostril

My left nostril has been constantly blocked for so long that I can''t remember if it''s been weeks or months already. The right one if fine, but when I sleep, the pressure in the head makes it a little stuffed too and I can''t breathe through my nose at all. I must say I''ve always felt a lot of pressure in my head during sleep too, which I don''t know if it''s normal. I''ve often used an ice pack just to easy the pressure. But my nose didn''t get stuffed until weeks/months ago.

I''ve tried antihistamines, but there was no result. I doubt it''s an allergy because this medicine always helps with my allergy against dust but it does nothing for my nose.

Last night, it was so bad, I got a nose bleed.

Would a nasal spray help? I haven''t tried that yet for fear of being disappointed. It''s always the same nostril and I fear there''s some enlarged something inside of it at the back that is causing the problem. When I stand up, there''s some relief. Instead of 100% blocked, it''s only 90% maybe. But it never gets better than that.

I don''t get a good sleep and I also get very tired eating and speaking because of this.

Thank you.

You will have to consult an ENT (ear, nose and throat) specialist, as it is possible that you have a nasal pollyp that is causing your blocked nose or even a deviated septum. You might need an operation to correct your condition.