Posted by: Daleen | 2010-09-08

blocked nose only at night

I have previously been to an ENT and he could not find anything wrong. When I lie down to sleep my nose closes up on the side that I am sleeping on. If I turn over it takes a minute or two then that side is closed and the other one open. I have had scans and it did show a small pollop but the ENT said it is nothing to worry about it could not be the problem. Could this also be the reason that I wake up some mornings with an excruciating head ache like today. (I remember he gave me some nose drops but it made no difference at all.) I can also say that I can actually feel the " movement"  of the one side opening up and the other one closing if I turn over. It is almost like something in my nose shifts from one side to the other.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Daleen

You need to have an opinion regarding the polyp , as although some are not removed, it is generally not recommended to ignore a polyp that is only on the one side.
The position of the body does have an effect on the nasal cavity, as it as a fact that the one nostril that is superior (on the "top"), will be open. Your nose is affected by the normal nasal cycle, and this means that the nostrils are opened and closed on either side every six hours (approximately). Certain other factors play a role, such as temerature changes and exercise and position, so your symptoms could be considered within normal limits. If you still feel troubled, see your ENT again, or ask for a second opinion.