Posted by: Leila | 2011-11-08

blocked nose

My teen son from early age has always had a blocked nose. Also he gets frequent feverish colds which doesnt last for too long. And when he swallow food I notice that its almost like an effort to do so which I think, has got to do with the blocked nose. Do I have to take him to an ent specialist? Any advice would be welcome.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Leila

The symptoms you describe could be related to the blocked nose, and the only way to be sure, would be for an ENT to perform a full ENT examination, especially concentrating on the nose. The problem could be anatomical (a possible deviated septum), or posssibly allergy related. In the last case your son should respond well to conservative management, but in all cases the use of a saline/salt nasal douche could be beneficial, even if only to give temporary relief.