Posted by: Liezel | 2010-11-01

Blocked nose

I broke my nose some years ago and since then been suffering from a blocked nose. Could that be the problem and if so, how is it fixed?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Liezel

It is possible that your broken nose involved a fracture to the septum of the nose. This is the middle structure of the nose, and is not visible from the outside of the nose. The septum usually seperates the nose into two more or less equal parts, allowing the flow of air during inspiration and expiration (breathing) to be the same on both sides. If the septum becomes deviated (off centre), it will block the one side of your nasal passage, thus causing nasal obstruction, or then indeed a blocked nose as in your case.
This usually requires nasal surgery to corrcect, but you will need an ENT examination to diagnose the problem and to establish whether or nor surgery is required. This does not involve any cosmetic surgery, as the aim is to overcome a structural/anatomical obstruction.
This is called a septoplasty, and the procedure is done on the inside of the nose, so no scarring is visible. Discuss the procedure with your surgeon, as techniques may differ. Some do endoscopic septoplasties, other do the older "open" procedures.