Posted by: Lila | 2010-02-03

Blocked nose

I had a cold in December and since then I have struggled with my nose. I am fine during the day but when I lie down to sleep my nose get so blocked I can not breath. I have no mucus and if I blow my nose there is nothing, no headaches or other pains either. What concerns me is that I started getting this thight feeling around my heart and sometimes palpitations as soon as start struggeling to breath. The moment I start drifting into sleep I wake up with a bang cause it feels like someone is smothering me. The only thing that helps is nose drops but I only use it if I havent been able to sleep for a few nights in a row beacause I know of the side effects, I have tried saline solution but nothing helps.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Lila

An examination of the nose by an ENT surgeon is necessary to find a cause for your problem. It may range from allergies to polyps in the nose, that needs treatment. In all the above cases treatment of a more longterm nature may be advised. A possible association with your breathing problem needs to be excluded or diagnosed, and treated if necessary.