Posted by: Kitty | 2009-03-20

Blocked nose

I have adopted a kitten who is now 4 months old, she was fine when I got her but a week later developed runny eyes and terrible
wet snuffles, she battles to breathe through her nose at times.

Took her to the vet, is up to date with injections etc, due to be sterilised in May. The vet took her temp which was normal, listened to her chest and said that her lungs were clear.The eye cleared up - just cleaned them with warm water and applied chloromycetin ointment, but her nose still continues to trouble her a lot, she is very snotty.

I have put her in the bathroom and steamed her, she did sneeze a lot but did not clear the nose. She breathes through her mouth at times, I clean the nose with warm water.

She eats very well and is active. Can I give her Moducare and if so where can I buy some.

Please help

Dear Kitty

A steamy room with Olbas oil as well as a few drops on bedding works well.

Posted by: Kitty | 2009-03-21

Took her to the vet yesterday and he prescribed an antibiotic even though the mucus is a thick creamy discharge.

I will get olbas and use it in my humidifier as it also helps my sinusitis.

Thank you all so much, really appreciated.

Reply to Kitty
Posted by: Carol | 2009-03-20

Moducare is quite safe to use on kittens ..I use it often.

1/2 capsule daily is fine .

The echinacea is also very good ..i think tho that your kitty needs a vet , I only fiddle around with herbal remedies with very very minor ailments

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Kitty | 2009-03-20

I will make an appointment to see the vet this afternoon, the snot is not yellow or green it is thick white mucus and sometime the nose seems to be runny all the time and the obviously when she sneezes she sprays everythwhere and everything.

Reply to Kitty
Posted by: ehm | 2009-03-20

just like with young babies, i think it' s better if you have a vet prescribe meds for your kitten. your kitten is still very young.

also, echinacea is a herbal med that' s also used for snuffles. (my vet prescribed this for my 5 month old kitten that was suffering terribly with snuffles. and if the snot is yellow / green an antibiotic may need to be prescribed.)

please don' t use human meds on a cat unless advised by a vet.

Reply to ehm