Posted by: YM | 2009-02-24

blocked nose

i do not think i have the flu but i did have a slight blocked/running nose. I rested yesterday and I will rest today ... my question is - i' m running the Deloittes marathon on Saturday and I want to know how the rest will affect my running. Currently after taking medication my nasal passages aren' t as bad as yesterday but my eyes feel warm. No headaches ...

Depends how your'e doing today. If it's cleared up, then problem solved, I guess.

For me, the danger is that you push yourself now, to run what I assume is a relatively minor marathon for you, and then you pay for it by missing the next 3 weeks, which might affect your big goal for the next little while. So the risk is potentially large, but the reward is really small. So the common sense approach is that if anything is slightly wrong, rather cut your losses and recover properly!

But if it's 100% cleared up, then go for it and enjoy the race. But any symptom, I'd back off and just rest this weekend. Rather be 100% later than 95% now and 50% later.