Posted by: Maseeha | 2011-01-08

Blocked Eustacian Tube

I''ve seen an ENT who diagnosed me with having a blocked eustacian tube. This comes after I noticed that my ears were blocked. He prescribed steroids and nasal sprays, but there was still no improvement. He now recomends inserting grommets in my ears. Is this advisable? Is this also the normal procedure and treatment?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Maseeha

The diagnosis of Eustachian Tube disfunction in an adult is not as common as with children, but clearly does occur. The cause is often not apparent, but one usually tries to clear the problem with steroids an the nasal sprays. If the problem persists, one could overcome it by the placement of grommets. The grommet is a ventilation tube, that will take over the function of the eustachian tube for a limited period of time, hopefully giving the Eustachian tube chance to recover. This is recommended management. If however no sinister cause is found for the dysfuntional tube, and you are prepared to wait, the problem MAY correct itself. Discuss this with your doctor if you are still uncertain.