Posted by: Bianca Muller | 2011-10-06

Blocked Eears

My right ear has been blocked for a week, today my left ear is also blocked. Yesterday I went to the doctor to have them remove the wax but no luck. The doctor gave me ear drops that would soften the wax but it didnt help. The gp said that there is akot of wax and he cannot even see the eardrum.I know have headaches due to the pressure in my ear. I have had numerous ear problems since I was a child. My eardrum has burst alot of times.

I am 14 weeks pregnant so cannot use any medication.

Please help.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Bianca

Get your GP to refer you to an ENT. He/She can remove the wax using a suction technique under microscopic vision. It is imporatant to have the wax removed, as one needs to evaluate your tympanic membrane (eardrum) in order to make sure you are not suffering from an underlying infection in your middle ear, or perhaps the eardrum itself.

Posted by: Kedibone Mimi Sechuane | 2011-10-11

Thank you for the expert advice because my child has the very same problem, last week i took her to the chemist for the wax to be removed &  they gave her sweeet oil which is not helping. I am planning to search for ENT in bloemfontein.

Reply to Kedibone Mimi Sechuane