Question
Posted by: anxious | 2011-08-29

BLOCKED EARS

I had flu last month and had a bad phlegmy red throat, phlegm cough, runny, blocked nose and couldn''t stop sneezing. I got antibiotic treatment from my doc which fixed it up. However, one other thing which I had was badly blocked ears. My gp said I had bad wax build-up, especially in my left ear. I used Cerumol for 3 days and went and had syringing in both ears, but I feel my ears are still blocked and I am having hearing problems. Is it possible I have a wax build-up that my gp cant see, i.e. behind the ear canal that has to be treated by an ENT? My gp''s receptionist says she always has to go to her ENT for wax build-up treatment because the gp cant always see it properly. Do I need to go to my ENT or just go back to my gp? My ENT did my sinus op in 2006 (ethmoidectomy, antrostomy &  DPP) which helped substantially in stopping me getting sick every winter. I was continually getting sick every year any time between April and September because, apparently, my sinus scan showed that I had such badly infected sinuses and there was nowhere for my sinuses to drain - that''s why I kept getting sick all the time - I got sick, got antibiotics got better and then 3/4 wks later was sick again. This cyclye kept happening for years until I had the sinus op - this year I have only had 1 dose of flu - which for me is fantastic. What can I do about my ear problem?

Thanks for the help.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Anxious

I would suggest that you go and see your ENT, as the problem may be due to fluid build-up behind the eardrums. Your ENT should be able to see this, the different condition requires medication.