Posted by: Ally | 2010-11-12

Blocked Ears

I have a rapid wax build-up in my ears. My ears get blocked every 3-4 months, and the only way to get them cleared is to have them syringed. Is it safe to have my ears syringed so often. Is there any way to prevent the rapid build-up? I clean my ears everyday and never push earbuds too deep into the ear canal.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Ally,

You are causing the wax build-up by using earbuds. They should never be used in the ear canal, as the ear is self cleaning. You should only wipe the wax that appears on the outer surface of the ear. Using earbuds not only damage the canal skin, it could damage the eardrum, no matter how careful you are. By inserting a foreign body into the canal, you are overstimulating the wax production in the ears. This is a protective mechanism. You could consult an ENT surgeon to perform a gentle suctioning of the wax from the canal, to see if the rapid build-up may be halted. It is just a fact that certain patients produce more wax than others, unfortunately no drop or drug can prevent this.