Question
Posted by: KJ | 2009-10-21

Blocked ears

Dear Doctor
I have been suffering with blocked ears for over 3 days now. I seem to have less than 50% hearing in my left ear and more sensative hearing in my right ear. I went snorkeling last Thursday but did not have symptoms until Sunday so don' t know if this is related. I am suffering slight dizziness and nausea as a result. I do have anti-biotic eardrops of which I have put 2 drops for the last 2 nights into the worst ear, but nothing has helped so far. We had my ears sprayed out, but that did not help at all and nothing came out.
What are the possible reasons for my problem? Should I continue with the eardrops and how often shoild I use them? Is there anything else I should or could take to help with the problem. I can' t get to a doctor any time soon and am desperate to have this problem sorted out.
I live in the Seychelles and the doctors here are notiriously good at misdiagnosing medical problems!
Thank you for your help.
Kind regards

Hi KJ
You may have fluid build up in the middle ear. Try using a decongestant nosedrop in the nose (this opens the tube between the back of the nose and the middle ear and helps drainage), you can also take a mucolyticum like Bisolvon to loosen the phlegm. If you develop fever, pain in the ear, or fluid draining from the ear you should see your doctor as you may have a ruptured eardrum. Valoid may help for the dizziness and nausea.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-10-21

Hi KJ

Reply to cyberdoc