Posted by: Rich | 2010-05-31

Blocked ear

Hi doc,

Just had flu now my ear is blocked i am taking advil cs but is still blocked do not not have money can u suggest a home remedy to try open it a bit? Flu is gone and finished my antibiotic

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Rich

Making a diagnosis without seeing and examining a patient is irresponsible, and can not be suggested. One can however try to get some idea regarding your current problem, but the golden rule is if something does not respond to suggested management in a reasonable amount of time, you must seek medical advice from a qualified person to examine you and suggest appropriate management.
After flu it is possible that the ear is blocked due to eustachian tube dysfunction, caused by inflammation and swelling of the tube. Your treatment seems appropriate, so it should resolve itself over a period of time. This may take up to four weeks. The Advil CS may make you feel better, but will not cure the problem. The most likely solution is time. If it does not get better, you need an ENT opinion.