Question
Posted by: Bernice | 2009-01-19

Blocked ear

I am having problems with my left ear. It blocks at least 3-4 times a week and then stays blocked for a few hours. It feels like I am in a cave. I know there is something wrong. Went too see an ENT but he saw nothing wrong in the ear. He only prescribed antibiotics, antihistamine and cortisone. This was the 4th doctor that I saw and always got the same type of medication from them all. One doctor said it was a sinus problem, but I don't have any sinus problems. Do you maybe have any suggestions to my problem since it is happening more regular lately.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Bernice
You may have an underlying allergy that causes swelling of the eustachian tube, with fluid build up in the middle ear - try this for 2 weeks : Use Loratidine 1 at night and put Beconase Aqueous nose spray in your nose every 12 hours every day - if it works, you may need to use this longterm as preventative treatment.
Tell the pharmacist of all the current medication you are using to ensure that you do not take anything that will clash - before you buy the loratidine.