Posted by: Tania | 2009-12-13

Blocked Colon / Bowel

My friend' s mom (in her 60' s) was admitted to hospital with excrutiating abdominal pain. She could not relieve herself (bowles). She had blood tests and an x-ray done. The x-ray revealed that her bowles are full of feasus but there seems to be no obstruction. She isn' t eating because of the pain and has already lost 6 kgs in a matter of a week.

She is still in hospital and tomorrow she has to have a berium meal (not sure of spelling) to determine why she' s not able to go to the loo (maybe there is in fact a blockage). They gave her a laxitive yesterday which did help a bit, but I think the pain is still there.

Can a part of one' s colon become infected or lazy and ' decide'  not to function anymore? I suppose one shouldn' t cancel out colon cancer either?

It is possible that there can be a neurologic disfunction of a certain part of the colon. That is why motolity studies of her colon will be done, as well as visualisation of the colon to determine if there is a mechanical obstruction of the colon (cancer of the colon).

Good luck with your friend's mother and let me know about the findings.