Question
Posted by: Aims | 2011/01/18

Bloating - tests

Doc

You mentioned in lots of mails that when a person is bloated there can be lots of conditions coursing this. How do a person determine these conditions?? What test can a person go for to determine this?? I also battle with bloating. In the mornings my tummy is flat and by mid-day it is swolen. In March last year I had a hernia repair, I was torn from under my navel to just under my breast, the doc repaired it using the method they do with a tummy-tuck, and went back 2 months ago, according to the surgeon there''s no fat present, to satisfy me he tried lipo but nothing came out!
I need to know what test, what exercise etc to do in order to keep my flat tummy. Any advice will be appreciated.
Aims

Dear Aims
The type of tests that a doctor would request would of course vary with the condition that he/she thinks the patient has, based on symptoms described when a medical history is taken or identified when the dr does a physical examination of the patient. Let's say that the dr suspects gastric or duodenal ulcers, then he would request a gastroscopy (you may be acquainted with this test because of your hernia problems). If the gastroscopy shows ulcers in the stomach or duodenum then the dr would prescribe treatment for excess acid production such as proton pump inhibitors and antacids, plus a low-fat, non-spicy diet. If on the other hand the dr suspects gallbladder problems then he would request a sonar to see if there are gallstones or if the gallbladder is enlarged. In your case, I would suspect that you may suffer from gastric reflux because of the hernia operation or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). You need to understand that the swelling of your stomach over the course of the day is not due to fat that suddenly forms in that region, but to gas that is distending your abdomen. No amount of exercise is going to make your tummy stop expanding because of gas formation over the course of the day. I would suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist ( a medical dr who specialises in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract), so that this dr can determine what is causing your bloating.

1

Dear Aims