Question
Posted by: Peter | 2011-01-20

Bloating and left-side " heaviness"  when seated

For the past 6 years or so I have been suffering from a sensitive stomach. I tend towards loose stools (never seen any blood in my stool), and bloating (light to moderate). The bloating causes me to feel a " heaviness"  in my left abdomen area ... almost as though my organs and my ribs fight for space - but I only feel this " heaviness"  when I am seated. I also get " windy"  from the bottom. Ribs was checked out by docter - all fine. About a week ago I was diagnosed with acid reflux by my ENT (for a completely separate complaint to my stomach ... my ears felt " closed"  constantly), and told to avoid all wheat products and given 40mg Nexiam to take once daily. Since on the Nexiam and cutting out wheat my loose stools have dissapeared, but the bloating remains. Certain times when I have a bowel movement, it feels as though I " pinch"  the stool off, but when I push again only very small piece comes out - and then this leaves me feeling like I wanna have a bowel movement for a few hours afterwards. Now the bloating and stomach issues have me worried (I tend to stress easily), because a friend''s father passed away due to colon cancer really and this has me freaked out. I have been taking LP299V (spelling?) for 2 weeks now, and eat wheat free muesli every morning. Should I be concerned and have further tests?

Hallo Peter
When I started reading your post, my first instinctive reaction was to suggest that you go for a proper gastro-enterologist specialist examination and further tests (like a colonoscopy under anaesthetic). I don't suspect that you have cancer, but you may have a spastic colon.

3
Posted by: Peter | 2011-03-31

Hi Dr. Bets, just to let you know I am going for colonoscopy tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice

Reply to Peter
Posted by: Peter | 2011-01-20

Forgot to mention that I am 35 years old

Reply to Peter
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-01-20

Hallo Peter