Question
Posted by: Celeste | 2009-10-13

bloating

Hi there, why if I have a lettuce &  tomato salad (only a side plate) for supper every night, I sometimes get bloated and crampy and normally the next morning I cannot get my wedding band on, swolen fingers and some nights not bloating &  cramps? Please help. I eat the same every day, e.g. b/fast: boiled veggies with plain yoghurt or 30gr oats with yogurt, snack a bananna, lunch: grapefruit with 200ml plain yogurt, snack an apple, supper: lettuce and tomato salad.
Drink +- 2.5lt liquid (eg) 4 cups coffee with milk, no sugar and the rest water. My diet is the same every day but feel diff. every day.

Thanks for you help.

Dear Celeste
The symptoms you describe of cramping and bloating plus swelling of the fingers, could be caused by a wide variety of conditions. For example, the bloating and cramps may indicate irritable bowel syndrome, while cramps and swollen extremities may indicate kidney problems. It is, therefore, essential that you discuss these symptoms with your medical dr so that we can obtain a diagnosis. Because you seem to be a lacto-vegetarian you also need to ask the dr to test your blood levels of iron, zinc, protein, vit B12, and calcium because your symptoms could be due to a deficiency.

4
Posted by: Celeste | 2009-10-13

Sorry all, I forgot to say that I do sometimes add baked beans and cottage cheese to my salad at night and sometimes tuna.
I must also say, I am very healthy and never sick, not even flu in winter.

Reply to Celeste
Posted by: dw | 2009-10-13

Gosh, I agree. How can you survive on this? There is no proper carbs!!!

Reply to dw
Posted by: C | 2009-10-13

I am not critisizing your diet, but I think the reason you are bloated is because your stomach is complaining and asking for some food with substance - LOL.

Reply to C
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-10-13

Dear Celeste