Posted by: Worried | 2008-11-17

I am insulin resistant and have an underactive thyroid. I am on medication for both(metformin and eltroxin) My problem is that I just seem to be gaining weight at a fast pace, yet I am trying towatch my weight and try to eat and exercise? and I am now bloating so badly my stomach swells and its painful because the skin pulls so tight. Is this because of my thyroid? I am tired and irritable and constantly want to cry.

Dear Worried
Bloating is not a symptom of insulin resistance or underactive thyroid, there may be something else the matter - either a colon problem, or fluid retention ( like with kidney problems or heart failure) or it can be fluid in the abdomen due to an ovarian growth. Please see your doctor for a full examination.