Question
Posted by: Griet | 2008/09/09

BLOATING

I suffer from a under active thyroid and insulin block both for which I use daily medication - .15mg Eltroxin and 500mg Glucophage.

Lately I suffer a lot from terrible indigestion lately and would hardly have eaten anything when this terrible bloated stomach would start. It seems to pop out from right under my ribs and causes me extreme discomfort. It is not there all the time, only whenever I eat. I do not overeat (actually eat very little per day) , do not use sugars at all and do not drink lots of coffee or tea. I drink my regular 6 - 8 glasses of water per day.

In spite of regular exercise, I do not lose a pound and this terrible indigestion and bloatedness is really getting to me. What could be the cause?

Dear Griet
This type of severe bloating can be due to a large number of underlying causes (e.g. gastric reflux, hiatus hernia, irritable bowel syndrome, gallbladder disease, ulcers, enzyme deficiencies or food intolerances or allergies, or a reaction to the Glucophage, etc). It is, therefore, essential that you have a medical checkup so that we can obtain a diagnosis and then see what we can do to your diet to address the problem.
See your dr ASAP