Question
Posted by: Dee | 2010/02/09

Bloated stomach caused by diet ?

About 6 months ago, i changed my diet in order to get rid of my bloated stomach but I think I am doing something wrong.
I am 40 years old, 5" 5'  and weight 58kgs. So I am not overweight, but my stomach always feels bloated or full.
I though it was maybe because I was not " regular"  enough. So I thought I would up my fibre. I have been eating (for 6 months)....oats for breakfast with colon support vitamins, lots of raisins for snacks, peas and carrots for lunch and plenty of water. And then a normal supper. I have about 5 mugs of coffee a day with milk and canderel. Am I overdoing the fibre ? Would my diet be causing bloatedness and gas ? How can I get rid of my bloated stomach ?

Dear Dee
Bloating can be caused by excessive intake of dietary fibre, but the diet you describe is certainly not too high in fibre. Other factors include irritable bowel syndrom (IBS), gastritis, food allergies and sensitivity, enzyme deficiencies, gallbladder problems, etc. I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to see if you so have one of these conditions. Once we have a diagnosis we can see how your diet should be changed.

1

Dear Dee