Question
Posted by: Maryann | 2010-08-13

Bloated stomach

I have a 8 yr old female X labrador/boerboel and have recently noticed her stomach is bloated and hard, she is not active at all sleeps 90% of the time and she is just not her normal self, she eats twice a day - Bobtail with rice &  chicken livers at night. I am concerned should I take her to the vet

Hi Maryann

Bloat can be a common problem and is influenced by age, breed, anatomical build, food types (dry kibble is know to expand the stomach), over feeding and the ingestion of excessive fluids over a short period of time.

The condition may also be related to Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

I think that it is important to go to the vet to have a clinical examination to determine the aetiology of the bloat. Gastric bloat is of concern as it is a predisposing factor in the development of a gastric dilation and volvulus - twisted stomach

1
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-08-13

Hi Maryann

Reply to Cybervet