Question
Posted by: TM | 2010/11/19

bloated

I feel as though I am bloated, I eat a healthy well balanced diet with plenty of fruit and veg and bran. The doc diagnosed me with IBS awhile back and therefor I eat healthy. I am 1.71m tall and weigh 57 kg so I am very healthy.
I have a bowel movement every 2 - 3 days but every few weeks I get terribly constipated that I am not hungry and have headaches. I have to use fybogel or a natural laxative.
I just dont know what to eat anymore? Could be intolernat of certain food or is it just IBS?
I was was asked if I was pregnant the other day, please help as it is really embaressing and uncomfortable!
TM

Dear TM
I am so sorry to hear that you are having such problems with your IBS. Did the dr prescribe any medications such as antispasmodics? if so, then please use the medication as prescribed. If not, please contact the dr again and ask him/her to provide you with some medication to assist you to when you get so bloated. Fybogel is good because it helps for the constipation and is not a harsh laxative that can damage your bowel movements. I would like to recommend that you also consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to help you with an individual diet prescription for your IBS and your very low weight. Your present BMI = 19,5 which is in the underweight range. The dietitian will have to determine if you are perhaps intolerant to wheat bran and that instead of helping your IBS it causes even further bloating. One of the most significant factors in IBS, is stress. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension. You may also benefit from probiotics ("good" microorganisms) such as Bifidoflora which is available at health shops. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine" and read the articles under 'Healthy colon'.

1

Dear TM