Question
Posted by: Loren | 2009/10/22

Bloated

Hi Doc!

I have been bloated for the last week,really badly, but I can' t understand why.

I drink 8 glasses of water a day,1 cup tea in the morning,special K with raisins for breakfast, sandwich for lunch (low Gi, high fibre bread, not butter/mayo) and salad and protein for supper. No carbs after 5 and snack on fresh and dried fruit and yoghurt.
I also exercise 30min a day and dont eat salt (i heard this can make you retain water and I' ve never put extra salt on my food). And I' m not close to my period and am regular.

I dont understand it and with the weather being so nice in Cape Town I want to not worry about looking 2 -3 months pregnant in my bikini!!! (there is no chance I' m pregant either..and Im not on any new medication)

Thanks in advance doc!

Dear Loren
If this bloating is a once-off condition then it could be due to a gastric upset or a tummy bug. But in general, bloating is caused by such a wide variety of conditions (irritable bowel disease, gastritis, ulcers, enzyme deficiencies, food allergies or intolerances, gallbladder disease) that you need to have a medical examination and obtain a diagnosis. Once we know what is causing the problem we can look at making dietary changes. The dr may also prescribe medications to reduce the bloating so that you can wear that bikini!
Enjoy the summer

1

Dear Loren
Enjoy the summer