Posted by: anon | 2009-10-07

I recently had an issue where I had a small circular patch of skin about the size of a R2 - R5 coin, at the top of my thighs at the back, where my legs join my buttocks, which was a cluster of tiny pimply blistery things and bright red. It was very painful and hurt when I sat and walked. It took very long to go away, approx 10 days. Yesterday I discovered I have another cluster exactly the same, just about 10cm below where the old one was. It is very painful to sit and walk, and I can actually even feel it when I am not moving or sitting down.
Because of the little blistery pimples, I was wondering if this could be a herpes type thing and possible to catch it from public toilet seats?
What is the best thing to use on it?

Hallo Anon
It is probably herpes zoster and it is a viral infection caused by the same virus as chicken pox. This virus tends to lie dormant in your body and later in life cause these rashes in specific areas of the skin ( it lies in the nerve root so moves via the nerve into the dermatome or area that is served by that nerve) It happens when your immunity is low or when you are stressed or after a sickbed. It is treatable with antiviral medication, preferably within 24 hours of you becoming aware of the rash. It is very painful because it comes from and affects the nerve. While the blisters are wet, you can infect people who hasn't had chicken pox before with chicken pox.
For now you can use an anti infective cream or ointment like Bactroban to prevent secondary infection. As soon as the blisters are dry you can try Sloan's liniment on the area for the pain ( do not use on open sores) but you may need a prescription for strong pain tablets in the mean time, so talk to your doctor.