Question
Posted by: Ann | 2012-10-29

Blisters in throat

Dear Doctor, can you please help? I have 3 or 4 very small blisters that come up on the right side of my throat (not the back of the throat) mainly after lunch for a while or at supper time, so that when I go to the doctor they are flat and almost invisible. When they are well visible (night time after eating and brushing my teeth and palate), I have usually eaten something like crusty bread or rice or corn - perhaps these foods irritate or scratch them? At times when they are ''up'', they burn a little for a while, but otherwise cause me no trouble. I''ve had them about 5 weeks now. I can reach them with my tongue if I twist it as far back and to the right in my throat as it will go. They seem to be fluid-filled when they swell, but remain the same colour as the inside of my throat, and are fairly tiny.
What do you think the blisters could be? I''m a 55 year old female.
Thanks very much, Ann.

Ann

The blisters are most likely due to irritation, possibly sensitised after brushing your palate. The "blisters" are most likely fluid filled nodules. Try not to brush your palate for a week and see what happens. Rather use a mouth wash after brushing your teeth to clean the rest of your mouth.