Posted by: Ross | 2009-05-19

Blister Under a caulis

I am a runner, recently I got a big blood blister on the ball of my foot during a run. I drained it and it never seemed to get anyworse and never hindered my running besides discomfort. Recently however it has become alot worse, after 30min of running I have to stop because of the pain, I had a look and there is a hard caulis over the whole ball of the foot(just from normal running I guess) but underneath it you can see a distinct blister deep under the skin. I tried not running for 3-4weeks but it just flares up again when I start. Is there a common treatment for this?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Ross

Blisters under an area of callus are quite common and can be very painfull. The secret is to make sure the skin does not get hard and callused to begin with. Check your shoes, you may be in the wrong shoes, causing excess pressure in the area. Keep the skin soft and supple. If necessary see a podiatrist who can take of all the callus and then you need to use a pumice stone or similar to keep it of. Once the area becomes hard and callused its almost inevitable that a blister will develop under the callus.