Question
Posted by: samie | 2011-09-11

blepharoplasty

hi doc
i am going to have blepharoplasty with fat injection to the malar region done in November under local anesthetic, by DR MC GARR in durban, will i be able to feel anything as he said he will be giving me a drug that will take my memory away and what is the recovery time of this op, what preventive measures coud i take to elimate the swelling and bruising ?

Also having filler done in the area will be it be benifical long term or will the op be more benificial.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Samie, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my response; I have just returned from France attending the Allergan Medical Academy.

Typically the use of Dormicum helps one to ‘forget’ the procedure but unfortunately it will not reduce the discomfort during a procedure; most doctors also use some form of local anesthesia in the area of the procedure for the pain control coupled with the Dormicum which will make you feel drowsy and may even put you to sleep (depending on the route and the dose given).
Unfortunately there is not much one can do to eliminate swelling and bruising but one can greatly reduce the chances of bruising by stopping all pain killers, all supplements (such as vitamins and Omegas) and certain herbal or homeopathic medication that prolong bleeding time. Following the procedure you can discuss with you surgeon the validity in taking anti-inflammatories and using ice packs to help reduce the swelling.

I am not 100% sure what you are referring to with comparing ‘filler to the op’: dermal fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane and the use of one’s own fat is still considered ‘filling’ as the end result is to achieve an increased volumisation of the malar area. There are both advantages and disadvantages to using one’s own fat and similarly there are advantages and disadvantages in using dermal fillers.

The main advantage of fat is that if it takes one can expect results to last 3 to 5 years. The main disadvantage is that fat does not always take or graft to the underlying tissue and one will have to repeat the procedure. Furthermore fat is not specific in that one needs to overcompensate the area filled by 40 to 60 % as there will be a decrease in the volume used. There are also a number of opposing views on using one’s own fat in certain areas of the face (such as the tear trough or lips)

The main disadvantage in using dermal fillers is the longevity (around 1 year or 18 months) but there are some surgeons in the US who prefer this approach over fat as one can be very specific with the volume increase, minimal to no downtime can be expected, and one can re volumise as the shape of the face changes over time.

The end choice in which filler procedure you would like is entirely dependent on you but either way the end results are entirely dependent on the doctor’s artistic eye.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011-09-23

Reply to anti-ageing expert