Question
Posted by: Bokkie | 2009-01-12

Bleeding through rectum

What could cause bleeding? I had a fever of 40 yesterday morning, severe back and muscle ache. Headache and nausea. It subsided during the day and last night, though a slight headache and muscle ache still remains. This afternoon I noticed some blood from my rectum though I didn' t need to defficate.

I don' t use any medicaion with the exception of Premarin and Aspirin 75mg. No anal sex, no piles. I' m in a nabouring African country on vacation and wouldn' t like to use the local hospital.

Please advise as soon as possible.

Hallo Bokkie
It could be an infection in the bowel, and you may need Ciprobay antibiotics. If you have diarrhoea, vomiting and high fever you should see a doctor as you will definitely dehydrate and become very ill. If the blood is more than a teaspoonful, clear red or looks like red currant jelly, you should definitely not ignore it. See if the local hotel does not have a medical facility?