Question
Posted by: Chris | 2008/09/07

Bleeding nose in the morning

Dear Doc,

I am very worried because my mother has a nose bleed every morning. It stops but it occurs every morning, Is this something to worry about? I tell her that she must go and see someone but she insists that its just congestion and nothing to worry about, She is 64. Please can you help.

Dear Chris
Often this is caused by a friable vein inside on the nose septum but it can be aggravated by something like high blood pressure. I agree with you, she should see her GP to check her blood pressure and maybe to have the vein cauterized. In the long term this can cause anemia.