Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2010-02-23

Bleeding during bowel movements

I am 28 and was diagnosed with Endometriosis seven years ago. Recently a new problem has cropped up that is worrying me slightly. During the week prior to my period starting, I have been finding a substantial amount of bright red blood on the toilet paper, after having a bowel movement. I brought this to my gynae''s attention during my last visit, he said that he could see no reason for this on my internal scan. He did find some cysts and prescribed Duphaston for ten days (which has made this bowel movement bleeding MUCH worse - alot more blood), he noted that we would have to book for a Colonoscopy to check where the bleeding is coming from (he thinks I might have internal piles - but I only experience the bleeding a week before my period starts) My bowel movements also seems to be alot more urgent during this time. I dont particularly like the idea of having a Colonoscopy, and would rather not have one - unless totally necessary. I am not even sure that the blood is coming from my colon - as everything gets bloody at this time, could also be from my vagina. How would I determine exactly where the blood is coming from? What could this problem be? Are my gynae''s suspicions correct - do I need to go for a colonoscopy? I have a follow up appointment with my gynae next week and would like to have some other options to discuss with him. Thanks!

If the blood is coming from your rectum, you definitely need a colonoscopy. If the blood is only there when you go to the toilet for a bowel action, then it is likely that it is coming from your rectum. The other thing you can do is lie down with a mirror when you have the bleeding and wipe the blood away till you can see where it is coming from. Endometriosis can occur in the colon which might explain why the bleeding occurs just before your period.

3
Posted by: Concerned | 2010-03-16

Well, after all the stress of having to possibly have a colonoscopy, I had my follow up appointment last week Monday. I had been in incredible pain on my right side (right around where my right ovary is) for about a week. My husband kept suggesting that I go to the emergency room, but I kept putting it off, because I knew I had my follow up appointment in a few days. When I finally did see the gynae, he did an internal scan and noted that the cyst on my ovary had grown considerably. He booked me in for an emergency Laparoscopy the next day. I am on me feet again and feeling slightly better - still a little sore over my right ovary, and not sure what the gynae has done (I know he performed a cystology - but am sore all over) I have another appointment with him tomorrow, am a little nervous about what news he will have. My endometriosis has obviously progressed from stage one, to stage three (as there are now cysts present) and I am extremely worried about my chances of falling pregnant, my husband and I wanted to start trying next year - but I am concerned that my risk of being infertile has now increased dramatically. I do think that this may have eliminated the chances of me having to have a colonoscopy (as I am sure the doc had a look at my colon during the lap), but in comparison - a colonoscopy would''ve been much easier to handle. Will keep you up to date!

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-02-24

Posted by: Dolphin | 2010-02-23

Hi Concerned

This does not sound normal at all. You should trust your gynie. I was also on Duphaston for 10 days when I had a big cyst. My blood was not red it was normal dark reddish colour which indicated that I have my menstruation. I still have cyst and I am pregnant.

If it was me I would go for the Colonoscopy to be on the save side if you are bleeding internal it can cause damage to your body. It is best to find out where you are bleeding from.

Good luck and keep me posted on this.

Reply to Dolphin