Posted by: G | 2009-07-21

Bleeding after positive Beta

Hi Dr

I had a day 5 transfer of 3 morulas after ICSI and went for a blood test 13 days after retrieval and the HCG level was 19. The next day it had gone up to 39. I have been bleeding for the last 2 days though (Not as heavy as a period but more than just spotting). I go for another blood test tomorrow. Do you think I should be worried about miscarrying?

Dear G

The fact that you Beta HCG has increased and that your bleeding is not very heavy is a promising sign. Any bleeding in pregnancy is always worrying however, I would suggest that you continue with serial Beta HCG’s and if this is still showing an increase in trend that’s a good sign, in addition your gynaecologist should assess your progesterone levels to see if they are also high. If your progesterone is low, additional progesterone supplementation would be required if not over and above what you are taking.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo