Question
Posted by: Worried | 2010/02/01

bleeding after miscarriage

Good day

I had a miscarriage on 22 December 2009, was 7 weeks along at the time. Since then I' ve been having bleeding on and off. There has been times when I thought it had stopped (no discharge for 2 or 3 days), then it would start all over again. Just when I think it' s over (just like the end of normal menstruation when the discharge changes colour and intensity), it starts again.

I haven' t been able to secure an appointment with my gynae yet (he has been on leave and pregnant ladies get preference).

How long will this bleeding last? When I had my daughter, I had bleeding for about 3 weeks, of which only the first 2 weeks was heavy bleeding. I' ve also been getting some strange twinges in my abdominal area, it is the same feeling as a baby kicking.

I' m getting worried that bleeding this long may indicate something is wrong.

It isn't normal to bleed for so long after a miscarriage. It may indicate retained plcental fragments. Try to see your gynaecologist.

3

Posted by: Worried | 2010/02/04

That' s probably part of the problem, but my gynae can only see me on 10 March! If I have to continue having bloodflow until then, I' m going to go crazy. Feeling tired all the time, possibly also due to all the blood loss. Went to a GP last night (not my normal GP, as she was not available, so I saw one of her colleagues). He flew off the handle, ranting and raving because I didn' t consult a doctor earlier already. He just told me that I had to go see a specialist as soon as possible and gave me a referral letter to go see a gynae. So I am basically back to where I started!

Reply to Worried
Posted by: K | 2010/02/03

Did you have a d and c after the miscarriage? If not, perhaps you should consider one.

Reply to K