Question
Posted by: Fletch | 2012-06-03

Bleeding after IUI

Would just like to know

I went for my first IUI this morning, and when I got home saw that I was bleeding. So far it has lasted all day. What I am wondering is whether this bleeding could wash out the sperm from my cervix and there for prevent pregnancy? Also where is the blood actually coming from, is it coming from inside the cervix, or is it mainly from the opening of the cervix and caused by irritation. I have searched the internet, but cant seem to find a clear answer.

Also want to ask, I have read that the HCG trigger shot can stay in your system for a while and could give false positives. How soon after 250microgram shot can I test and be sure the result is correct?

Dear Fletch

Bleeding maybe present after an IUI as the cervix is quite a vascular organ and with some trauma to the cervix one may bleed. It would be very unusual if the blood would be washing out the sperm and therefore I don’t think you should be very concerned. The most likely reason as to where the blood is coming from would be the cervix. If however the blood is not coming from the cervix and more the uterine cavity, than this may pose a problem, as blood in the uterine cavity may prevent implantation. You can do a test 12 days after your HCG injection.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. DASOO

1
Posted by: Fertility Expert | 2012-06-09

Dear Fletch

Answered by: Dr Y.M. DASOO

Reply to Fertility Expert