Question
Posted by: Shan | 2010/09/23

Bleeding after Childbirth

I gave birth to my baby 5 1/2 weeks ago. My bleeding was bright red for a couple of days, it then turned brown with an odour and now it is bright red again and very heavy. I am also feeling faint and as though I am getting flu. Is this normal to bleed for so long?

Are you sure that this is not a period?

3

Are you sure that this is not a period?

Are you sure that this is not a period?

Posted by: Purple | 2010/09/23

Phone your gynae straight away and explain the problem to the receptionist. If you can''t get an appointment, then get one with your GP who could get you an emergency appointment with the gynae.

There is usually heavey bleeding in the beginning, then it gets lighter and lighter until it is eventually just sort of yellowish and then stops. It should stop by 6 weeks at the latest.

It shouldn''t smell (it can smell a bit like normal menstrual blood), but if it is very smelly it might indicate an infection. If you ahve started bleeding like this again and you are feeling faint, then it sounds like there is a problem.

Reply to Purple