Posted by: New Mom | 2009-03-02

Bleeding after birth

Please can you advise me as to why I am bleeding very lightly after having a baby. I had an emergency c section a few days ago but I hardly bled and I am only spotting like a very light period. The blood is also more pink than bright red. Is this normal? I was told I was going to go through packets of huge pads as you bleed alot after a baby and will even pass clots and thick blood. I am now confused as I have enough maternity pads to stock a maternity ward!
What has happened to my " after birth" ?

Your afterbirth was removed at the time of surgery. The bleeding after dfelivery is from the womb lining and this varies form person to person. It is quite normal.

Posted by: Kate | 2009-03-02

I didn' t bleed much either. Like a very light period for about 2 weeks. The sisters changed the pads in hospital and I always assumed those were bloody and I just wasn' t aware. But once I was home I actually used normal pads.

Reply to Kate